Thursday, August 7, 2008

Trust

Taipei is a much safer city than most American metropolitian areas. Keanu and I had dinner at McDonald's this evening while Kevin taught across the street and we made some interesting observations. Part way through our meal, a middle aged, professional-dressed Western man came in and put his bag at the table beside us to 'save' the table while he went to order his meal. OK, fine. Perhaps there wasn't anything valuable in the bag, but then less than ten minutes later, another couple arrived at another nearby table. They arrived with their infant daughter and when the husband saw the little table he asked his wife if there wasn't a bigger table elsewhere, like on the other side of the kitchen. All three went to check, but left the tray of food and wallet sitting on the table. I guess I should be happy they didn't leave the baby! In both of these situations, nothing disappeared, but I don't suppose they'd be so lucky if this were, say... Minneapolis.

I feel completely safe as a female in Taipei and I guess it would be nice if the rest of the world were as safe.

Not only is the city safe, but it's also friendly. As we sat eating our meal, Keanu waved hello and goodbye to everyone who either came or left our section of the restaurant. I don't think most people noticed this friendly gesture, but isn't it nice to know that someone cares enough to acknowledge your coming and going?

3 comments:

B Haack said...

I don't think it is really that distrusting around here - even in the cities. When you're here and you see the news, they always have sensational stories. Have you noticed that they are mostly in certain neighborhoods?

Maybe your greeter could work for the little company, Wallmart?

Brenda said...

hmmm, we don't have a Walmart here, yet.

Anonymous said...

Well, I learnt a lesson in trust... Jayden was stolen from his seat in the cart in Carrefour! It was literally done in five seconds while I was deciding which tofu to buy. Ahji was the "stealer" and boy did he feel sorry for his little "joke".