Monday, October 13, 2008

Johnny's Wedding

Friday was Taiwan's birthday (10/10), so we enjoyed a long weekend. We should have gone up for the dumpling making party, but instead enjoyed a quiet day at home. We were supposed to get Keanu's hair cut, but he took an early nap so he missed that excursion, too.

Then in the evening we went to a friend's wedding reception at a nice new hotel. I was actually looking forward to it, expecting some excellent food. I was a bit disappointed, not so much in the quality but in the length of time it took to eat the meal. For those of you not accustomed to Chinese wedding dinners, the meal is served family style at a round table for 10. The meal consists of about 10-12 dishes which are interspersed by wedding activities such as the bride wearing 3 different gowns, a few speeches, the throwing of the bouquet, etc.

Keanu actually did pretty well for a little guy who's not even two yet. The first 6 or 8 dishes were mostly seafood (most of which was pretty good, until the duck feet came), but Keanu doesn't care for seafood and the pomp and circumstances were few and far between. He survived on orange juice and a few pieces of shredded wheat which I'd brought along. Finally, about 2 and a half hours into the event - just before people were ready to leave - they brought out the last 2 main dishes (which included broccoli and fish) as well as a fruit plate for dessert. Keanu was in heaven. He made up for the other food he didn't eat with the three servings of broccoli and 4 pieces of watermelon he devoured as the rest of the guests were leaving. What a meal!


With me being nearly 7 months pregnant, we also made a couple of trips to the loo throughout this long meal (a good distraction for a toddler, too). However, it wasn't until we were about to leave that I discovered the cute little toilet. I've seen restrooms before that have a "mommy and child" potty - the stall is a bit larger with two toilets - big and mini. However, this was the first really cute toddler potty I've seen. Keanu isn't quite ready to really use the toilet yet, but even he thought it was cute. What do you think of the froggy potty?

On a related note, we did a little potty chair shopping this weekend. At the department store they were close to $60US, but then yesterday I picked one up at a local baby specialty store about 25. In the past 24 hours, it's been Keanu's favorite toy after his tennis racket!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that froggy potty would match our (never used) froggy high chair.

I guess I shouldn't tell you that you can get $99NT pottys at Carrefour.

B Haack said...

That's cheap!

I love the frog toilet.

And I thought that you might be telling us you went to the toilet restaurant!

Brenda said...

Not the toilet restaurant yet, but I'm sure he'd love it. Since he likes his little potty chair so much and it was sitting right beside us as I was changing a diaper the other night, I decided to put him on it for a bit to see what would happen. He sat for about 20 seconds, then stood up and peed into the potty, and then sat back down again! What a funny boy!